ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

XXX Domain

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: XXX Domain
  • From: Norm <clarknl@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 18:31:55 -0600

Dear ICANN Representative,

As a former IT person, I can appreciate the service that you provide, and I thank you for it.

Regarding the xxx domain, I have some reservations. If the intent is to group all porn sites into such a cluster, it is a good idea. If, under this plan, all porn sites have to register as such, and have to vacate their present sites, I am in favor of it. Protecting my loved ones from accidental or too-easy an access to porn would be as easy as locking out domains ending in .xxx in my home or office filter/firewall. The problem here, however, is that the porn sites are more easily found, and unless the average home/small business owner is able to block the xxx domain, it is as easy to browse porn websites as going to a candy or ice cream store and scanning the flavors/varieties in front of the counter.

Furthermore, I am informed that porn sites can remain in their current domains and then add new addresses in the xxx domain. This now becomes a gigantic problem as porn is not only available as before, but now is even easier to find as described above.

In summary, unless regulations are set in place that require the moving of all current porn sites to the xxx domain, and not allowing new porn sites to get addresses outside of that domain, I can't, in good conscience, support this venture. Additionally, even if such regulations are passed, the average person who wants to block this access must be given every opportunity to do so at little or no expense. Microsoft and other Internet/firewall software companies would also have to default their products to block this domain, even through updates, which can only be modified by some kind of authentication through parents, guardians, security, IT, or any other controlling body and the manufacturer, provider, and/or ISP.

Sincerely,

Norman Clark
Grand Prairie, TX