ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.xxx tld opposition

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .xxx tld opposition
  • From: tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:04:08 -0800

Hi I wanted to take a moment to voice my opposition to the .XXX tld.

I do not feel that it will effectively prevent children from accessing material
that is deemed objectionable. A majority of the adult content companies that
exist on the internet today work hard to prevent the access of their websites
by minors.

The major problem comes from file sharing sites and social networking sites
where people are allowed to post any material of their choosing in an environment
that does not have even the most modest of measures in place to insure that
children cannot view adult material posted by other users of their network.
These sites benifit from the very fact that they are able to attract the general
population including large numbers of children and young adults.
They would not be likely to move away from their .COM tld

Also there is the large problem of pornographic email spam that this measure
does nothing to address.

I feel that a more effective way to protect children on the internet would be to
concentrate efforts on the development of the .KIDS tld that has been mentioned
frequently in discussions involving the protection of children on the internet.
Such a namespace would not only be able to preclude the inclusion of pornographic
material, but also other materials that may not be appropriate for children, such as violence.

The establishment of a .XXX tld will do little to efectively limit the problems
involved in the protection of children on the internet.

Thank you
Bill Meyers
tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx