ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Reject the .XXX Scam-Nobody Wants it Except ICMRs Investors

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Reject the .XXX Scam-Nobody Wants it Except ICMRs Investors
  • From: James <alexjameslg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 21:15:11 -0800 (PST)

Reject the .XXX Scam-Nobody Wants it Except ICMR?s
Investors

Dear ICANN,

The ICM Registry falsely declared in their opening
proposals that they had the support of ?most? of the
adult industry.  I would estimate that 99.99% of the
adult industry were then, and continue to be, FIRMLY
OPPOSED to the .xxx domain name.  The remaining  .01%
were promised kickbacks per domain, legal fees and
possible advertising dollars.

Problems:

1.  ICMR is operated by non-adult industry people.  We
are all very impressed by businessmen Jason Hendales?
and Stuart Lawley?s sudden concern for our children,
but I?d be even more impressed if they and their
investors didn?t stand to make millions of dollars per
annum on the .XXX domain name scam.

2.  A .xxx domain would cost about $75.00/year, TEN
TIMES what a typical domain does.  If this is about
protecting children why would you make it so
prohibitively expensive that the price itself would
put off almost all buyers.  Conversely, you could
argue that if .xxx domains really would help children,
then the high price provides less protection to our
children, because far fewer people will buy them.  But
this is about money, isn?t it?

3.  Purchasing overpriced .xxx domains will be
?voluntary? to START (except for those that must
purchase them to block those who seek to hijack their
brand name!)  But is anyone so dumb as to believe that
Hendales, Lawley and their investors will actually
truly try to keep it ?voluntary? when it means far
less money to them?  About as likely as them tearing
up a winning lottery ticket on moral principle!
Lawley says he will ?give? $250,000 to a single lawyer
to ?make certain it stays voluntary.?  If you believe
that then there is no hope for you.

4.  I am part of the adult online community (softcore)
and I assure you we VIRTUALLY TO A MAN oppose .xxx.  I
cannot think of ANYONE who is actually in favor of it.
Can anyone give an actual name?  If it were to work it
would segregate porn into a ghetto, easy to regulate.

5.  Conservatives appear to reject the idea of making
a red-light district for the spreading of porn.  Oh
and by the way letting the world know that tons of
porn is to be found in all .xxx domains MAKES IT
EASIER, not harder, for people and children to find
it. DUH!!!!   And if you mention the word ?filter? to
me, I will come back at you and say, well if they work
so well, why do we need the .xxx tld?  DUH again!!!!

6.  I have to admit that by creating a .xxx domain
ICANN itself would seem kinda sleazy and
unprofessional.  You will be making yourselves known
forever to the world as the allowers and ?regulators?
of a massive pornographic Red-Light District.  I?ve
seen it suggested that ICANN could also become liable
for what goes on in YOUR Red-Light District.  You
created that district and according to the statement
by the government of Canada I just read ICANN is only
supposed to be concerned with technical aspects of the
administration of domain names, not entering into a
contract with a FOR-PROFIT company (with to-be
high-paid executives) to create a HIGHLY-REGULATED
DOMAIN NAME.

7.  By segregating adult material (initially
voluntarily) into a .xxx ghetto you will certainly
tempt certain political wings in free countries and
certain unfree governments the world over to find ways
to make .xxx MANDATORY.  Probably the fastest way in
the United States would be to pressure credit card
processors (or just one, since VISA has 80% market
share) to only process payments for adult material
that exists in the .xxx domain.  That will get them
around the Constitution, because Visa is a private
company.  Right-wingers will say you can have all the
free speech you want, you just have to say it in .xxx

All sovereign countries will be free to make any law
they please w/ regard to the .xxx domains. Many
countries will force all adult material hosted from
their countries into the .xxx domain, and you can be
sure, they will include all info about abortion, sex
ed, feminine issues, anything sexual or controversial
they and their religious leaders/totalitarian
governments feel like.

ICANN, if the .xxx tld goes through, these free speech
prohibitions WILL HAPPEN, and EVERYONE WILL BLAME
ICANN- for the massive litigation and trampling on
Internet speech that will ensue.  I wouldn?t be
surprised if the chaos would lead to the stripping of
all ICANN?s power.  You?d deserve it if you are so
stupid or so paid-off as to embroil yourselves in this
scam.

I am almost certain .XXX will fail.  Conservatives,
liberals, libertarians, the Adult industry from
hardcore to Playboy (is that .xxx?) OPPOSE it. We all
thought it was dead already, but a lot of money was
invested in this scheme and so it keeps creeping back
in.

What the hell needs to happen before ICANN finally
gets the point NO ONE wants the .XXX ghetto?  Ok,
except for ICMR?s top investors.

Reject the .XXX domain name scam, for ICANN?s good,
for the sake of Freedom of Speech and for common
sense.

Thank you

James Treadwell

Looking for earth-friendly autos?