ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

Socially Controversial Issues

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Socially Controversial Issues
  • From: Geoff Kollas <gpkollas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:29:28 -0800 (PST)

Sirs,

I have been researching all matters pertinent to the proposed .xxx sTLD that I
have been able to find, including reading all of the comments that have been
submitted to ICANN prior to this email that I am submitting.

It strikes me that ICANN, and myself, as technical beings, can not help but be
overwhelmed by how emotionally charged the proposal submitted by ICM Registries
is.  I would think that it is in ICANN's best interests to distance itself from
this proposal, in order to maintain it's technical authority and independence
from those who wish to implement Internet content control.

The best way to maintain distance between ICANN and this socially controversial
issue is to reject the proposal.  I am afraid that ICANN would forever find
itself involved with the .xxx sTLD matter, and this would be distracting from
the purpose of preserving the operational stability of the Internet.

Respectfully submitted,

Geoffrey Kollas