ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.XXX is a bad idea

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .XXX is a bad idea
  • From: cash.cache@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 18:38:45 -0500

Hello,
I am in the adult entertainment industry and I oppose .XXX. I am a
webmaster and I think .XX is a very bad idea. Here's why:

• It "ghettoizes" the industry, making adult entertainment an easy
target for anti-industry extremists and government intrusion.

• It will add, unnecessarily, to the cost of doing business. At $60
per URL per year, the cost to a member could reach tens of thousands
of dollars annually.

• The .XXX option could enable the industry's enemies to convert even
a voluntary .XXX domain use into an effectively mandatory requirement
by pressuring private parties, such as credit card processors, to
require .XXX use and compliance. In this way, ICM through unchecked
rule-making could "back door" all the governmental regulations that we
have beaten back. If that happens the industry would not have its most
potent weapon, the First Amendment to challenge ICM because ICM is not
a governmental entity.

Please drop .XXX, it is a bad idea.

didier