ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-icm-agreement]

.XXX TLD

  • To: xxx-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .XXX TLD
  • From: MrYum <mryum69@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:31:13 -0500

To Whom It May Concern,

I've been an adult webmaster since 2000, managing several sites at the current time.

Having read a lot about the pending .XXX TLD, I'm compelled to write this message expressing my strong opposition to this new TLD.

There are a multitude of reasons for this opposition, which is widely held by many of my peers in the online adult industry.

Creation of a cyber red light district is not only unnecessary, it's an inherently bad idea, making legitimate hard working tax paying citizens easy targets for the over zealous religious right wing.

The cost of domains in the new TLD is outright exorbitant, accomplishing nothing more than lining the pockets of the creators of this bad idea extension.

Many adult webmasters like myself have spent years developing .com domains. If .XXX goes through, it creates an open door for censorship proponents to force webmasters to move sites to the new red light district .XXX. Doing so, then creates a situation where years of work are lost in the search engines, assuming the .XXX extension is even available for the previously owned domain. And if the .XXX has been snapped up by a domain squatter, all those years of work branding a site are completely lost. Or, the unfortunate adult webmaster is forced to pay some unknown obscene price to acquire the domain matching the branded name.

There are many more reasons, but I suspect you have a lot of mail to read, so I'll leave this message as it stands now. Suffice it to say, I speak to dozens of my peers every day, not one of them supports this horribly bad idea. The only people who do support it are the ones standing to make millions of dollars from it, by effectively extorting it from hard working adult webmasters. Please don't let this happen.

Sincerely,

Carl L. Carpenter