ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

Just say no to .XXX

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Just say no to .XXX
  • From: Brent Martin <brentmartin05@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:17:39 -0700 (PDT)

It's amazing to me that the .XXX proposal continues to plague not only the
adult industry, but also ICANN and the rest of the Internet.  I cannot see
where the proposed TLD serves any purpose at all.  It will do nothing to
protect anybody who does not want to see adult content from bumping into it on
occasion.  How many existing adult domains exist that will never choose to even
attempt to fit into .XXX?  MILLIONS...

If the intent is to "protect the children", then a far more effective solution
would be to promote something that could be filtered to allow into a browser
versus hoping to filter out the few who adopt .XXX.  Try backing a .KIDS TLD
that would be private to kid friendly companies and organizations.  That would
stand a far better chance of "protecting the children".

Who are the adult industry supporters I keep hearing about?  If there actually
are any, they are not active members of any of the industry boards.  Check the
adult B2B forums - you'll be hard pressed to find one comment in favor of
.XXX.  What does that say about industry support?  It really does NOT exist.

So why is there a push for a .XXX TLD?  Simple... it's about money - money to
go into the pockets of the proposal backers at IMC.  They have invested a HUGE
amount of money over the years trying to push this through.  So much money,
that it's nearly impossible for them to simply walk away.  They also don't want
to walk away because of the money they can make if somehow this lunacy does go
through.  When a .COM costs $10/yr, what on Earth would make a .XXX worth
$100/yr or more?!  There can't be that much more cost to administer the TLD...
that makes the entire plan a money grab by a few individuals who are trying to
capitalize on any system that will allow them to spread enough confusion and
fear to profit from it.

What's the fear and confusion they are spreading? The confusion is that all
reports are making it 'appear' .XXX is already a done deal!  IT'S NOT!  Or at
least it shouldn't be, not until it's either rejected or accepted by ICANN.
What's the fear they are spreading?  Buy into .XXX or lose your valuable
branding you've been building up for possibly years on your .COMs.  They seem
to be hoping that people will be so scared about protecting their brands, they
will immediately buy up domains.

Well, there are supposedly 100,000 or so pre-orders for .XXX domains.  I'm
guessing there are actually some people in the scared category, trying to
protect their brands. My other guess is that there are a LOT of cyber squatters
trying to grab the prime terms with the intent of selling them for a profit.
Doesn't that break one of the intended rules of ICANN?

While thinking about branding, trademark is a key concept.  What if the owner
of a key .COM, who owns the trademark to a valuable .COM domain ends up not
being able to buy the .XXX because of somebody else?  That will likely be tied
up in court for a good long time.  There are already comments to this proposal
about creating jobs thanks to more domains being available.  The only jobs I
see being created are likely in ICM and lawyers who get employment on cases of
trademark related issues.  More domains may be created, but that won't mean new
jobs will be created within the industry.

The reality is that this proposal has zero merit as something that is good for
the adult industry or any part of the Internet.

If ICANN for some reason doesn't see this proposal for the money grab that it
is and that it has no support from the industry it claims to be serving, then
my only hope is that NOBODY in the industry supports it and NOBODY actually
purchases a .XXX domain should it be approved.  That way, not only will ICM
take the financial hit they deserve, but the cyber squatters will be stuck with
worthless .XXX domains.

Just say NO to .XXX.
Student4Ever
AdultForums247.com