ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

Please Let .xxx Die

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please Let .xxx Die
  • From: Michael Kealy <universalbear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 22:47:19 -0400

We're always talking about protecting the children. Why are parents so
willing give up the care of their children to anyone outside their own
homes? Why aren't parents supervising their children while they surf the
Net? Have you read your child's Facebook account today? The things my niece
says on hers curls my pubic hair. Do parents have any idea what their
children are doing in Cyberspace? Why aren't they watching? When are they
going to assume their responsibility as parents and say, "No, you cannot
spend four hours playing on Facebook, or You Tube, or Twitter? (When are
parents going to hand their kids a book and say, "Here ... read this." I
hope they do it soon because we're in an era where our children will be less
literate as adults than their parents.)

Create a .child TLD and then parents can corral their children there and
leave the rest of the Web alone. There are already labelling systems
available for adult sites to label themselves as "not appropriate for
children." We don't need to ghettoize the Web.

In spite of what Stuart Lawley claims, he's pushing .xxx to open up a money
minting factory in his office by charge domain-name seekers three to six
times the registration fees of .com's – protecting children is just a nice
little flag pole he gets to use to fly his banner.

And I'm tired of Stuart Lawley using the thousands of reservations of .xxx
domain names as some kind of support for his venture. His company offers
business people the opportunity to reserve their .com counterparts in .xxx,
should it ever happen. I certainly reserved mine. That doesn't mean I
support .xxx. It means I'm a business man who is protecting my interests in
the event of an repugnant outcome to this never-ending saga. Imagine if I
were forced to move my properties to .xxx only to find cybersquatters had
scooped up my domain names, talk about adding insult to injury. Of course I
reserved my domain names, so have thousands of others, it doesn't mean we
support .xxx, it just means I'm preparing for the worst-case scenario.

Please let .xxx die once and for all

Michael Kealy