ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

.XXX TLD should not be approved

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .XXX TLD should not be approved
  • From: <beamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 20:20:15 -0700

We are in complete opposition to the .xxx TLD.

1) XXX Offers Minimal Protection for Children:
Expecting xxx domains to prevent underage from viewing adult content is
about as short sighted as expecting entrance disclaimers to completely
prevent them from viewing it. There is little stopping them from viewing
adult sites if that is their intention. It is the responsibility of the
parents to monitor and protect their children, not the government.

2) Unexpected Adult Material (Non)Prevention:
Do you really think imposing a xxx domain is going to prevent people
from getting unexpected adult content? Think about the people who have
sites that force you into viewing adult material, do you think they care
about following laws or regulations? These are the type of people who
will find every way possible to get around the restrictions to show you
what you weren't intentionally looking for. People who want to get
around it will and they will most likely be out of US jursidiction. Now
these people will have an even great advantage over the legitimate
businesses. So much for the efffectiveness of the xxx domain.

3) Adult Content Ambiguity
How do you expect people from different countries and communities to
agree on what is adult and should go into the .XXX TLD? What if some
countries do not enact laws where the .xxx TLD is compulsory for adult
sites? How does that bode for those in countries where such laws are
enacted? The .xxx TLD will create disastrous rifts that will only serve
to hurt us in the end, especially US business.

4) Equal Rights
The xxx TLD is an assault to our rights and freedoms. Why not make a TLD
for every type of topic? Why only adult? We do not want segregation.

5) Small Business
The exorbitant (extortion) fees for registering and maintaining xxx
domains pushes out small business, especially in the current economic
conditions. Right now we need small businesses to succeed in order to
seed a new positive economy. Small business cannot do that if
legislation like the xxx TLD exists. Do you think it is easier for a
small business to own 10 domains if they cost $1000 to maintain? Having
high costs to start a business only discourages new ones from starting
up.

6) Adult Industry Opposition
We have yet to meet anyone in the adult industry who does not opose the
xxx TLD. Reservations for xxx domains does not equate support, it
equates webmasters not wanting their domain to get squatted on or sold
to them for even more exorbitant prices.

The negative effects of the xxx TLD legislation far outweigh any gains
from it.