ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-revised-icm-agreement]

As a member of the sponsored community - .XXX is simply wrong - I say NO!

  • To: xxx-revised-icm-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: As a member of the sponsored community - .XXX is simply wrong - I say NO!
  • From: "Brent L. Martin" <szbmart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 12:26:50 -0700

As a member of the "sponsored community", I'm in agreement with the VAST majority of the REAL sponsored community in saying that .XXX is a bad idea and should finally just go away. Please do the right thing and say NO for a final time to the insanity.

I run several of my own adult sites and also am a partner in an adult webmaster B2B board. Along with this, I am active on several of the primary industry boards. You could easily say that I am fairly in touch with the industry concepts of what is wanted. A .xxx TLD is NOT wanted by the people who actually represent the industry and are members of the sponsored community.

This proposal will do nothing for the industry. It has nothing to do with anything other than to line the pockets of ICM on the backs of hard working adult webmasters. It will do nothing to protect children. If anything, it will make adult content easier for minors to find simply because they will have a much better idea of what domains to look for. Current content filtering methods are in place to allow parents to protect their kids, there is no need to setup a TLD to accomplish this. As a parent too, I oppose the .xxx TLD.

Even outside the sponsored community, there is no real support for this proposal. When you can't get religious groups to join in against something like this, it MUST be a bad idea! Most politicians also agree that this is NOT the way to monitor the industry.

So what does it come down to? Who does support this proposal? ICM. That's it! One entity supports it. Why? Because they have spent millions to try and force it though and stand to make many millions if it goes through. That is all it is about - money in the pockets of ICM. That can be seen fairly easily in the last few days as desperation takes hold of ICM and the total lack of support from the REAL sponsored community. Their ploy of sending out SPAM emails to the adult community, saying that they will forward comments to ICANN about the proposal is nothing more than a desperate attempt to try and show support that is not there. The fact that they would even attempt to dupe the community with these tactics shows what type of business people they are. Those emails contain a link that does NOT go to a comment form, it automatically submits a comment for approval! For these dirty tactics alone, ICM should have their proposal stricken down for the final time.

I'm a parent, an adult webmaster and a member of the sponsored community. I, along with everybody I know, do NOT support this proposal and ask that it be voted down for the LAST time.

B. Martin