ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

.XXX should be REJECTED once and for ever !

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .XXX should be REJECTED once and for ever !
  • From: "Gregory Wachowiak" <gwachowiak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:45:38 +0200

Dear Sirs,

Someone below me argued that basically the more domain extensions, the
better.
I completely disagree. More domain extensions does not equal wealth
creation.
It rather means unnecessary costs for companies that need to protect their
trademarks and brandnames. It also means user confusion.
Yes, user confusion. From the top level domains established in recent years,
most have not taken of and it was easily to be predicted.
I am referring f.e to .name, .aero or .museum extensions. I have no
statistical data to back up my claim, but I'd say that 99% of internet users
aren't even aware of their existence.

Now, certainly .xxx would get more awarness because the whole idea already
gets so much more publicity.
However, do we need .xxx? Or a better question - who does need .xxx?
Or who does need .xxx apart from those planning to run the Registry for it?

.xxx would not solve any real or imaginary problems resulting from the
existence of online pornography, especially since the domain names are said
to cost about 8-10 times more than current .com or .net extensions. No adult
site owner will voluntarly give up their already branded domain names.
The "easy to filter argument" is also ridicolous - yes, .xxx might be easier
to filter, but since noone will voluntarly move from .com to .xxx, the
intruduction of .xxx will not change anything in how online porn is spreaded
and distributed. I'm not an expert in this field, but overall it is pretty
obvious that the adult industry is against this proposal, as it has been
often emphasized in the media.

So why does ICANN - despite public opposition, despite opposition from the
GAC, despite opposition from individual governements or communities like the
European Union, not to mention US Department of Commerce... and as mentioned
before - even opposition from the adult industry.... so why does ICANN want
to introduce this domain name so badly?
.xxx is a bad idea, regardless of the moral aspect and it should be clearly
voten down - and rejected once and forever !

Best Regards,

Gregory Wachowiak