ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

.xxx tld is bad mmmmkay

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .xxx tld is bad mmmmkay
  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 08:23:32 -0000 (GMT)

There is much debate in the adult industry about the .xxx tld which the US
Government is set on trying to get through.  My attitude is one of mild
alarm to mixed indifference about the whole thing.  Governments have been
trying to work out ways to filter porn off the net for years and maybe
this is one of those attempts.  It is something that all adult webmasters
must face sooner or later.  The thing that frustrates me is that the US
Government hides its real agenda behind the guise of protecting children
and decreasing the amount of child porn on the internet.

This red herring is just a way to attack legitimate adult ebusiness's that
act within the law.  The US Government and its affiliated right wing
religous groups think they can stifle any arguement against it's actions
by saying, "We are trying to protect children!"  I find it heinous that my
legal adult business interests should be slandered by comparing me to a
child pornographer.

I still strongly believe that the people responsible for protecting
children from porn are their parents and guardians. Some think this is not
valid because parents can't possibly stop their children accessing porn
due to the variety of ways it is available.  But I disagree, and think
that is a cop out of modern parenting. Why do parents hand over their
responsibilties to others?

As others have said there are already numerable filtering softwares
available that work and that can be used at home and in schools.  Cell
phones don't have to have internet access options on it, it can just be a
phone.

But in the end, if the Government of the US is to be honest with itself it
would admit that the number one use of the internet is to access porn.
This use outdoes any other by a big amount.  So everyday average citizens
enjoy seeing porn in the privacy of their own home.  Who are you to tell
them they can't?

Having a .xxx tld is not going to stop porn. The US is only one Country in
the whole world. So the only people that will be hurt by this is the US
adult webmaster in the end. Everyone else will carry on as normal. So now
the US Government wants to hurt its own citizens legitimate business
activities.  If Google filter out all adult websites that have .xxx tld,
how are they going to stop people using adult search engines like booble
to get their porn.  You wont stop people doing what comes natural to them.

The only people who will benefit are the domain name sellers who will
probably charge $60 for a .xxx tld and make a fortune off the
discrimination of legitimate businesses. This whole idea is one collosal
crock of crap.

G Burgess
Australia