ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

As a father I am very concerned about .xxx consequenses

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: As a father I am very concerned about .xxx consequenses
  • From: "Anders Pedersen" <akhp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:42:35 +0200

I have installed a free software on my childrens computer that filter away most of the websites containing adult material. This takes no time and is working very fine, and it could work with .xxx. We were some parents discussing this with a technical expert from our local school, and there is one major problem with .xxx:

If you move/force "legit" adult sites into .xxx , it will only create new problems! And that is all the non-US controlled domains and IPs instead of domains, etc, that will take advantage of this and exploit the search engines and create more spam. Many of these sites get around the filter, but today they are listed lower than the websites that are easier to filter, so its a very bad idea to give these websites this advantage and motive to expand. Not only will the "easy-filtering" websites and emails dissappear, but it will also create a huge amount of spam because their marketing methods will change in amount and design.

Honestly, if protecting children is the goal, then .xxx is short thinking and not the answer! The problem is not the legit adult sites, but too many parents do not have the technical knowledge to install a simple thing as a software. Instead of spending time and money on something that will only create new problems for us responsible parents and the schools, the government should spend more time and money on teaching parents and schools how to protect their children. And maybe cooperate with the legit part of the adult business, instead of trying to control which is impossible globally. That is the only way!

We urge you to say NO to .xxx .

Regards
Mikke