ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

.XXX proposal

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .XXX proposal
  • From: "Larry Richards" <larryricha@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 23:40:56 -0700

Bear in mind while reading this that I have 2 young children that I would
like to see protected from exposure to pornography.  This is of course not
completely possible with any technical nor legislative solution.  The only
truly effective solution lies with parents paying attention to what their
children are doing on the web, and on explaining to them when they can
understand it what the dangers are.  I also own domain names and revenue
sites, but no porn sites nor gambling sites by choice.

That being said, .XXX might have been a good idea if it was created at the
same time as .com, but it is the wrong solution now.  It will create another
location for pornography, not a replacement location.  Consider the
following problems:

1.  The prices for .XXX names are set to maximize profit to the registry,
not to induce porn sites owners to switch. This was directly stated to me at
a previous ICANN meeting by one of the .XXX registry founders.

2. Any porn site owner will still need to maintain the existing sites even
if he gets the identical name in .XXX so he can redirect the traffic as all
the existing links will point to the old site.

3.  There will be a huge problem with name collisions, and the solution
stated to this so far is completely subjective judgement on the part of the
registry.

4.  An approach which will go much further towards a solution has been
proposed recently in congress I believe of tagging porn site pages with a
browser readable ID and have browsers have a switch to say whether they
would render such pages or not.  This is a very simple thing to implement,
and it has the virtue of making it easy for all the PPC providers themselves
be able to recognize such pages and not display the links to them for any
domain name so specified adding an extra layer of protection on top of the
browser layer.  In this solution there is no extra cost to the domain owners
for new .XXX names, no battle over free speech rights if someone later
decides to try to take away the .com etc. porn sits (forgetting as is
typical the net is worldwide and has many tlds and that a .com registrant
may live i a country with different laws).    The embedded tag approach is
much better at making it easy to prevent inadvertant display of porn pages
arrived at though chains of links, and much easier to get site owners to
voluntarily use as the financial impact is negligible.

So if you wish to endorse a technical solution to a social issue (which has
in all of history never proved possible) back the one with the best chance
of the most impact.

Larry Richards