ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Parental Responsibility. No to .xxx

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Parental Responsibility. No to .xxx
  • From: "Dr P K Dollar" <pkdollar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 06:26:44 -0700

My main concern in this is that the line is blurred these days between what
is preceived as porn and what is 'art' or advertisment.  A few years ago the
entertainment industry put the responsibility back onto the parents where it
belongs by rating the movies, television shows even music that was deemed
not appropriate for children.  Ads on television, at the movies and in print
today are blurring that fine line.  Who can forget the Carl's Jr ad of Paris
Hilton crawling in her tight string bikini over a soapy Bently then taking a
big bite out of a 'spicy' burger??

Why should the WORLD wide web be any different?  Parents should know where
their child surfs, bottom line. Most search engines have a 'safe search'
feature that filters out adult content.  It should always be in place when a
child has access to the interent.  The majority of online producers of
internet pornography have warnings in place and come up with various methods
on their own to prevent or at least warn those who are surfing they are
about to enter an adult site. They certainly do not want someone with out
access to $$ to be able to surf their site, use their bandwidth and be
non-productive.

Hold parents accountable for their children's actions.  I have children and
I know every single day where my child surfs.  I know who he 'chats' with
and I have given him  countless hours of  communication on what is right and
what is wrong. By having these conversations with him, I've been able to
dialogue on sexuality, violence, drugs, thought process, harrassment and a
variety of other topics that every parent should be able to openly discuss
with their children.

.xxx is not going to prevent children from accessing porn, it is merely
going to put it in one place where those savvy enough to know will find it.
Kind of like the 'locked' liquor cabinet in the livingroom.

PK Dollar
Parent, economist, and frequent internet user