ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

RE: [Signature Support] Failed Order/Registration [Incident: 060505-001270]

  • To: <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <new-gtlds-pdp-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx>, <operating-plan-comments@xxxxxxxxx>, <tel-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>, <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [Signature Support] Failed Order/Registration [Incident: 060505-001270]
  • From: "Montanheiro, Luiz" <L.C.Montanheiro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 12:22:10 +0100

To the Attention of ICANN:

Dear Sir/Madam,

For many years I have had the domain WWW.OPENCROSS.COM as part of our
University's registration for the conference and publications related to
the public-private sector partnerships events. Owing to changes in the
IT provision at Sheffield Hallam University, the new registration was
not accepted as soon after its expired date the domain was transferred
to another user and I was offered to buy back my own domain name.

It is not good enough that people like me work very hard to create a
title/name and have that registration only to find out that in a very
brief span that same name is snapped out by others to try to make money
out of it.

I think this is a serious case in terms of security, honesty, and good
business practice. It seems to me that organisations responsible for
domain registration are just greed enough to let the name be taken out
by anybody else other than the original owner of the title.

By many account, I believe that once a registration is made out for a
specific users and payment made on more than one occasion, the owner has
the right of that name or title and only by legal and official
transferring rights can that name be used by others (I think).

Can you advise further on this matter??? as you se below that I have
been recommended to address this issue to your attention.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation!

Best Regards,

Luiz Montanheiro
MBA-Programme Leader, SHU, Fac.Organisation & Management
City Campus, Sheffield, S1, England
T +44 (0) 114 225 5260
F +44 (0) 114 225 5268