ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

I and the vast majority of the industry needed to make .xxx a success am opposed to .xxx

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: I and the vast majority of the industry needed to make .xxx a success am opposed to .xxx
  • From: <sarah@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 15:08:45 -0700 (PDT)

I would like to register my opposition to the proposed .xxx .  While the
idea of protecting underaged surfers from viewing adult material is a
honorable goal it simply will not be achieved through the propsed .xxx .
It would be far more logical to create something similar to a .kid where
everything on that could be assumed to be child friendly. .xxx is trying
to close the barn door after the horses have bolted.  Without the support
of the adult online industry it simply will not work and will act as
nothing more but a way for an entire industry to be blocked and have their
freedom of expression denied by any government the decided to just block
.xxx domains.

Also, rather than making harder for someone underaged to find adult
material all any underaged surfer without a filtering system on their
computer will have to do is type in any word with .xxx behind it and they
will be assured to find unsuitable material.

In addition to which, the act of moving existing sites to a .xxx domain
will prove to me near impossible.  Not only will the landrush be a mess
but it will cause the complete demolition of hundreds of brand names
developed over the better part of a decade.  The numerous lawsuits that
will arise over people registering .xxx versions of current .com domains
will be enough to make the sex.com case look like a walk in the park.

.xxx is simply a disaster waiting to happen with very few underaged
surfers protected.

Thank you,
Sarah Jayne