ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

i am against .xxx

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: i am against .xxx
  • From: dan <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 23:23:16 +0100

I think .xxx is a bad idea that might sound like a good idea to the layman when in fact it would not work and only create a load of money for the people proposing it. If you think .xxx will enable everyone to "fence off" you are mistaken people will get round it. If .xxx happens I expect it would become lucrative for some porno people to get round .xxx filterring (for example if bussinesses stopped workers accessing .xxx a porno site getting round that could maybe make a lot of money).

I am sure there are many ways people would come up with to get round the filterring maybe simply by putting porno on .com and other domains hosted in other jurisctions maybe ? maybe using a country code domain like .ru,.cn and/or hosting the servers in other jurisictions ? Maybe we would see sites going back to using straight IP addresses for access and maybe people will simply switch from using the http protocol for porn and some sort of subscription P2P distribution of porn would happen.

So as far as children are concerned it would be a false sense of security to think .xxx blocking would stop them accessing porn. Also it is a false sense of security if you were under that illusion they were safe because you have blocked porn there are many other threats online to them IE child predators that might stalk any kind of site / protocol / domain, myspace.com has been in the news recently about child predators using it.

A better way to protect children online would be to create regulated .kids domain and make sure everything in that is safe for kids and just let them access websites within that namespace.

thanks,

dan