ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

silly idea because...

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: silly idea because...
  • From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 17:16:54 -0700

This whole discussion is deeply flawed because it really has nothing to do
with protecting children at all. This is about curbing adult content online
and attacking pornographers. under the pretense of protecting children.
Further, I have never seen any debate that was so misguided and off base in
my life. Watching debates on .xxx, COPA, tax on porn and other related
issues from the perspective of someone in the industry has been like
watching a group full of 3rd graders debate the finer points of quantum
physics and string theory. Everyone is long on agenda and short on facts and
a real understanding of the practical issues or even the basic mechanics of
the business.

Here is a fact that I wish DC would grasp. Pornographers don't target
children in any way, shape or form. Grouping child pornography/pornographers
in with legitimate and legal adult businesses is like creating laws that
pressure the makers of aspirin under the auspices of stopping illegal
methamphetamine production. The two have nothing to do with each other. A
small group of criminals, acting in a criminal manner has no connection
whatsoever to those operating a legal business

.xxx is a very shortsighted idea. You can't control all other tld's on the
internet. You can't control all other tld's and what they have on their
sites (i.e. if I can access sex.eu - why does it matter that you forced a US
webmaster to move sex.com to sex.xxx? You can't block all foreign tld's that
have porn.

At the end of the day, you can create ,kids tld and know for sure that kids
are seeing only that domain. No adult companies have any interest in going
there. No adult company will be trying to BREAK THE LAW and then try market
anything to someone who cannot even pull out a credit card and buy
something. Creating .xxx does not insure that kids will not see porn on
sex.au.com or anywhere on that vastly huge place we like to own called the
Internet. ,kids does.