ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

re: opposition to top level xxx

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: re: opposition to top level xxx
  • From: "Brett Jennings" <brett@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 20:22:20 -0700 (PDT)

There are several reasons to oppose the implementation of the .xxx top
level tomain.   The primary one would be when a local government/agecy
enacts new legislation prohibiting adult material from being on other top
level domains and have them all moved over there.  That may or may not
happen in the US but you can certainly imagine it will happen in some
countries.  Where that happens there will be a loss of revenue and loss of
web traffic to the original sites.  That loss in revenue will ultimately
also effect domain registrars revenue.  How many domains are registered
every year that are adult related?   What if that happened in the US, how
would that effect the godaddy's, networksolution's, directnic's of the
world?

Outside of the extreme right wing, who wants the .xxx to exist?  Have
there been alot of adult sites that have requested it?  I own 35 or so
adult domains - I own maybe 4 .net's - maybe 1.org  but for the most part
we buy .com's because that is what people think to type when they type in
domains.  Very few people buy .ws, .us, .biz or .info.   The revenue you
will hope to pick up will be offset by the loss in revunue you will feel
if - people lose their traffic to their existing .com's because a
governement prohibits adult sites from being operated from a .com and
forces them to buy and re-establish traffic under a .xxx domain.  The loss
in revenue I would feel would be irrevocable - and I would end up leaving
the business.  As a result I wouldn't be buying or renewing any of my
existing domains.

Not saying censorship is a natural progression of this ... but unless
there are 1000's of emails coming in from webmasters saying please give us
the .xxx domain - I think you would be opening up - a great opportunity -
for religious extremist to push an agenda through whatever country they
are in - to block and prohibit adult material from being transfered -
through their regional isp's, businesses, etc on any domain except the
.xxx    And the reason they will get that through is because they will say
it will be easier for a protection software to block those sites from
their children.  I'm all for preventing and barring minors from accessing
adult material until they have reached the appropriate age of
consent/majority ... but the current net nanny / parental control software
works just fine ... for those parents that activate it.

Thanks for your time in reading this - I realize the email has been fairly
long - but I hope you give it a bit of consideration.

~Brett Jennings
brett@xxxxxxxxx