ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

In support of .xxx

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: In support of .xxx
  • From: "JKoala87" <JKoala87@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 13:33:27 -0400

With my circle of friends and family, I have been following the .xxx saga
for quite some time now with great disbelief and amazement.

On the one hand, I am watching with great disbelief ICANN?s indecisiveness
and apparent impotence in following through with their own procedures. On
the other hand, I am amazed at the degree of misunderstanding and
mischaracterization of the concept by some commenters.

The fact that the .xxx concept involves a rather contentious subject ?
pornography -- is not an excuse to apply discriminatory practices and double
standards in dealing with the application. The application for .xxx needs to
be given the same treatment as any other tld-application. The application of
rules and policies should not be content-dependent.

The misunderstanding of the concept is astounding. People who believe that
.xxx will add to the amount of porn available on the web are simply naïve as
there is no limitation on the amount of porn that can be put out there under
the present system. Introducing .xxx will simply allow respectable and
law-abiding adult-site operators to VOLUNTARILY list their sites and either
redirect their .com traffic, or open new venues, thereby creating additional
revenue opportunities. Listing sites under .xxx will only require that site
operators adhere to conditions that attempt to significantly reduce child
exploitation, child porn and harmful under-age access to the sites. .xxx is
simply a vehicle in the fight against child porn and not a new platform for
pornography.

Pornography is a legal and legitimate business and is not going away. Child
pornography is illegal, harmful and socially demoralizing; any attempt at
curbing it should be embraced as much by the legitimate porn-industry as by
law-abiding citizens, religious groups, law enforcement agencies, child
activists and all who care. Wide use of the .xxx designation will allow for
a lot easier screening-out of unwanted content by technically unsavvy but
caring parents, schools, libraries, employers, etc., etc.

Any way I look at it, I find the .xxx concept to be socially responsible and
helpful to all but illegal child pornographers.

John K.