ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Strongly Opposed to .XXX

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Strongly Opposed to .XXX
  • From: Connor Young <cyoung@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 12:35:04 -0500

Dear ICANN:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
My name is Connor Young, and I am President of YNOT Network, LP.&nbsp;
Since 1996, our flagship website YNOT.com has served the adult Internet
industry by providing valuable business resources, industry news and
analysis, and other bits information useful to owners and operators of
adult Internet websites.&nbsp; We have attracted an international
audience, drawing adult Internet professionals from North America,
Europe, Asia, Central America and South America.&nbsp; We also own YNOT
Radio, an Internet-based ?radio station? targeted at adult industry
professionals, and we are heavily involved in Cybernet Expo, an annual
trade show also targeted at adult Internet professionals.&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;<br>
YNOT is heavily invested in the health of the international adult
Internet industry, and we are deeply concerned about ICM Registry?s
application for a sponsored-level dot-xxx TLD.&nbsp; I am therefore
writing this letter to express YNOT?s deep opposition to the creation of
a dot-xxx TLD.&nbsp; It is our sincere belief that the creation of this
TLD will cause irreparable harm to the international adult Internet
community.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
It is my understanding that a sponsored-level TLD is approved by ICANN
only when it has the support of the industry which it is intended to
serve.&nbsp; It is our belief that no such industry support exists for
the dot-xxx TLD.&nbsp; YNOT has engaged the adult Internet industry on
this topic through message board discussions, editorials, Internet radio
shows and dialogues at industry events.&nbsp; Our first-hand experience
on this topic shows that the overwhelming majority of adult Internet
professionals (and hobbyists) are adamantly opposed to the creation of a
dot-xxx TLD.&nbsp; Of those who do support dot-xxx, we have also found
that support is highest amongst those who know the least about this
topic.&nbsp; As the topic is discussed and debated, support for dot-xxx
generally diminishes.&nbsp; In short, dot-xxx seems like a good idea at
first glace ? but once the topic is given careful consideration, it
becomes plain that dot-xxx is a nuisance at best and a terrible danger to
online speech at worst.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Here is a quick summary of concerns related to dot-xxx:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
<b>Mandatory use</b>.&nbsp; Many adult Internet professionals are
concerned that, despite the assurances of ICM Registry, use of dot-xxx
would be compelled rather than voluntary.&nbsp; Use of dot-xxx domains
could be compelled through government legislation, or use could be
effectively compelled through actions taken by private industry.&nbsp;
For example, Visa or MasterCard could suddenly decide that all adult
transactions need to take place on .xxx domain names, which would
effectively compel use of dot-xxx for any adult Internet website engaged
in credit card-based ecommerce.&nbsp; Such an action by Visa or
MasterCard could have an international effect, negatively affecting
websites all over the globe and slapping a ?Scarlet Letter? on all adult
speech.&nbsp; In addition to private industry actions, YNOT has always
believed that were a dot-xxx TLD approved, many governments would be
unable to resist compelling its use through legislation.&nbsp; These
concerns have already proven valid in the United States, where two
senators have co-sponsored a Bill that would make use of an adult-only
TLD mandatory for all American-based adult websites.&nbsp; Should dot-xxx
be approved, it is highly unlikely that the United States will be the
last country to attempt such regulations.&nbsp; Compelled use of dot-xxx
creates a number of problems ranging from censorship concerns to
practical business concerns, and it runs counter to the vision of an open
Internet where ideas both popular and unpopular are given fair
forum.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
<b>Online Red Light District</b>.&nbsp; Many websites which contain
content that is intended for an adult audience object to being classified
as ?XXX? or pornography.&nbsp; It is important that the Internet is not
shaped to reflect the mindset of those individuals with the least
tolerant views towards sexuality.&nbsp; Sexuality is a topic of immense
importance to humanity, and the international discussion and exploration
of this topic should not be forced into back rooms.&nbsp; Adult content
online is not just the product of an industry ? it is also a form of
speech.&nbsp; Creating a separate dot-xxx domain name for adult speech
perpetuates the archaic notion that sexual speech is shameful or sinful
and somehow needs to be separated from the rest of the human
dialogue.&nbsp; The Internet has helped increase international comfort
with the topic of sexuality.&nbsp; As mentioned before, pushing some or
all of adult online speech onto a segregated dot-xxx TLD is the
equivalent of slapping a ?Scarlet Letter? onto those websites that use
these domains, regardless of whether that use is by choice or by
compulsion.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
<b>Unwelcome Restrictions</b>.&nbsp; Since ICM Registry?s application is
for a sponsored-level TLD, an organization called IFFOR would be created
along with dot-xxx should the application be approved.&nbsp; IFFOR is
dangerous to online sexually-explicit speech, which needs considerable
freedom from regulation and restriction given the strong desire of
censors to suppress it.&nbsp; The adult Internet industry is unique in a
number of ways, not the least of which is the sheer volume of attention
it gets from would-be censors with intolerant views towards
sexuality.&nbsp; The adult entertainment industry is a regular target of
conservative politicians and fundamentalist spiritual leaders ? groups
which constantly look for new ways to restrict any access to sexually
explicit speech, even access by adults.&nbsp; Since IFFOR would be in a
position to set the rules for use of dot-xxx domain names, many adult
industry professionals are deeply concerned that the organization would
set rules that do not have the best interests of the adult entertainment
industry in mind.&nbsp; This is of course especially problematic should
use of dot-xxx domain names be compelled rather than voluntary.&nbsp; As
the adult entertainment industry would have only token representation on
the IFFOR board, we fail to see how this application is anything but a
grave threat to the health and freedom of the adult Internet
industry.&nbsp; IFFOR would become a mechanism by which restrictions
could be placed on adult speech against the will of the adult
entertainment industry, which IFFOR and dot-xxx are supposed to
serve.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
<b>Lack of Need</b>.&nbsp; It is widely believed that the creation of a
dot-xxx TLD serves no useful purpose.&nbsp; By now it is well known that
the international nature of the Internet prevents dot-xxx from being
effective as a means for shielding children from adult content.&nbsp;
Absent this noble purpose, it is unclear what benefits dot-xxx provides
to the adult entertainment industry.&nbsp; Generic TLDs (like dot-com and
dot-net or any other generic TLDs either in existence today or created in
the future) are sufficient for the needs of the adult entertainment
industry, and they operate without the potential problems of an
industry-specific TLD like dot-xxx.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Absent wide industry support for dot-xxx, it is unclear to me why ICM
Registry?s application should be approved by ICANN.&nbsp; Additionally,
it is YNOT?s belief that ICANN should not underestimate the damage that
dot-xxx could do to the international dialogue on topics relating to
human sexuality.&nbsp; With so much concern present, and such little
support to counter, we urge ICANN to reject ICM Registry?s application
and end the dot-xxx threat once and for all.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Sincerely,<br>
&nbsp; <br>
Connor Young<br>