ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Opposition of .XXX TLD

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposition of .XXX TLD
  • From: "Chris Patton" <dezine2k@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 08:54:37 -0500

Someone made a very valid point the other day that I wish to stress even
further. Instead of a .XXX TLD, why not make a kid friendly .KIDS
extension instead? Aside from the normal violation of free speech by
pushing adult sites to one extension, it would also make It a lot easier
for children to just type anything in, add a .xxx to it and most likely
wind up at an adult site.

Parenting should be left to parents, not legislators. If parents want to
protect their children there are several methods they can use but I'm
sure not one of them has actually considered monitoring their children.
We live in a society where television raises our children because
parents always seem to be too busy to raise their own children. It is
not my nor my government's job or responsibility to watch other people's
children. If parents want their children to be safe, let them provide
the safety for them and begin filtering it from the home Not the ISP.

I am a responsible adult who likes my freedom to choose. I don't like my
decisions being made for me, nor do I care for what other people think
is moral or not. I decide what what is moral or not for myself and my
family. I don't need some hypocritical legislator who looks at porn from
home telling me what is or isn't right. I have the freedom to choose if
I want to peruse adult sites or not peruse them and if I do choose to
view them that is MY CHOICE, not yours, my ISP's or my government's.

Chris Patton
Baton Rouge, LA