ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

dot-xxx does NOT protect children

  • To: xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: dot-xxx does NOT protect children
  • From: "ShanesWorld Rox" <shanesworldrox@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 20:23:24 -0700

As the parent of a teenager, an employee of an adult entertainment company,
a website owner and most importantly an American citizen to whom the First
Amendment is nothing short of sacred, I must register my strenuous objection
to the creation of a .xxx top-level domain.

There is no compelling need to create a top-level domain in order to
"protect children" - that is what parents are for... and if they're too
busy, too technically inept or too lazy to monitor their children's surfing
habits, there's plenty of existing filtering software that is effective,
inexpensive and flexible enough to suit their needs.

I find it appalling that any American would champion such restrictions on an
entire class of speech protected by the First Amendment, while failing to
involve those whose livelihoods depend on said speech in the decision-making
process.  Moreover, as I understand it, under this proposal even websites
that are NOT pornographic, but merely engage in sexually explicit speech
will be forced into the "virtual ghetto" of .xxx as well, which will
effectively make a site offering information about certain sexual practices
and/or health issues as "kid-unfriendly" as a site offering hardcore
pornography.

I'd agree with the Free Speech Coalition and others who support a "kid-safe"
zone such as a .kids TLD.  If parents wish to restrict their children's use
of the internet to those sites they deem appropriate, .kids is a much better
solution... and more respecting of the rights of adults to view, read and
write what they choose.

THE ADULT ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY WANTS TO PROTECT KIDS TOO, BUT IT DOES
*NOT* SUPPORT A .XXX TLD AS A VALID MEANS OF DOING SO.

Roxanne Brown
Shane's World Studios

http://obnoxiousbitch.com