ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[xxx-tld-agreement]

Opposition to .XXX TLD

  • To: <xxx-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Opposition to .XXX TLD
  • From: "Fred" <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 13:14:33 -0600

To: ICANN Representatives

From: Fred W. Huska, iTrends Media

Subject: .XXX TLD

Date: May 9, 2006

Please accept my opinion in opposition to the creation of a new .XXX TLD
(top level domain).  I find a number of reasons to avoid the .XXX
implementation.  First and foremost is the opportunity it presents for the
violation of our freedom of speech.  It is almost unavoidable that
government will attempt to impose a filter method on the .XXX that I feel
would violate the first amendment of the US constitution.

The only purpose I can see for the .XXX is one of censorship.  There are
already a number of tools in place such as Meta and PIC tags that can
identify site content and thus provide a means of protecting children.
These tools to date have not stopped adult content from reaching the eyes of
minors.  This new TLD would suffer the same fate.  How would any
organization enforce control worldwide?  The effect would be to the
detriment of US webmasters.

A wiser course of action would be to encourage the use of tools already
available and in use by responsible organizations.  The answer is not more
rules that will prove to be expensive, but to use what is already in place
more effectively.

I also have concerns regarding the business aspects of this TLD.  Hopefully
the committee has considered the rash of litigation that will ensue over use
of site names already in place as .coms or other TLDs.  With the extra costs
involved with the new TLD, the small business owner will be harmed.  The
efforts in building branding may be dashed by speculators with funds to grab
keyword .XXX domains as soon as they become available.

Respectfully I request that ICANN reject the current ICM Registry
application.