ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[zfa-concept-15feb10]

Some comments

  • To: zfa-concept-15feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Some comments
  • From: "Henry - Zen Search SA" <henry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 10:47:51 +0200

RE:  Zone File Access Concept Paper

1.  As is mentioned in the paper, once the initial agreement has been
concluded between the parties, the burden on all involved is very low.
The existing model works very well, so I'd suggest a path of least change
with a continued approach of simplicity.

The "The Enhanced Bi-lateral Model" in my view would be the ideal approach
since it extends on what is known to already work well.

Perhaps a fine point to add to this model alongside "path and naming
conventions for the zone file," would be:

"access to new data, as opposed to a single monolithic zone file"

In other words, allow access to a "current" zone file which only includes
the last, say, month's worth of new records.  Some registrars already do
this, and it *significantly* reduces the download costs in terms of time
and money.  In contrast, the .com/.net registrar does not provide this, so
the consumer is forced to download the same data repeatedly in order to
gain access to new records.

The burden on the registrar to provide this is insignificant, since it can
be automated with a simple "diff" script, or some other means, etc.

2.  A nominal annual fee would be fair w.r.t. providing the service.

HL Combrinck