ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] new gTLDs

  • To: Interim ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] new gTLDs
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 07:20:18 -0800

I'll be participating in a DNSO new gTLD committee call tomorrow. Their immediate objective is to give a recommendation on how to structure the namespace for new gTLDs.

I'd like to get a sense of whether the ALAC wants to comment on either the substantive issues of namespace structuring or the procedural issues of how at-large should be involved with the substantive discussion going forward.

To this point, the gTLD Committee has heard from the business constituency and non-commercial. The business constituency has recommended limited rollout of sponsored, restricted TLDs; non-commercial has called for more rapid expansion, including new generic, unrestricted names.

Substantively, I lean toward more rapide expansion of the namespace, without rigid structure imposed, because I think many current domain name conflicts come from artificial scarcity. There doesn't need to be any technical shortage of domain names. Procedurally, it would be good to find a way to hear from the at-large public -- are we aware of any user surveys or other means by which they've spoken already?

For this call, I expect mostly to listen, and suggest that I prepare comments after taking their ideas back to the ALAC.

Thanks.
--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation