ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] new gTLDs

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] new gTLDs
  • From: Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 17:22:29 -0500

I'm not sure we can resolve this all at once, but I don't really think new unrestricted gTLDs are that great of a way to resolve the so-called artificial scarcity. It is a *real* scarcity - the scarcity of space in people's minds. (people want the same term in .com, not in .whatsit.) Whereas sponsored TLDs *do* help, by creating extra space. so how about a broad roll-out of more *sponsored* ones?

e.g.: United.com -- only one
add .biz, info, .web, .info.... not much help. United is still a pretty limited-use trademark. [until you add so many that the whole thing becomes meaningless, which may well be the most desirable outcome.]

But if you add .aero, .law, .van, and restricted TLDs, you multiply the word United by a variety of specific uses.

So we should probably just listen, since like you I don't know of any surveys I would trust on user opinion on this topic. (And opinion is not the only guide. Some good assessment as to likely impact of various policies would also be helpful.)

Esther