ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] IDNs

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] IDNs
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:43:39 +0100

Did anyone actually get the point I was trying to make this morning about
the IDNs? Basically, I see at least two potential problems for registrants.

1) Let's suppose you are French and you have built your site at liberte.com.
Suddenly, IDNs become available and someone else registers liberté.com
(which is the right way to write it). Isn't this a cause of confusion,
cybersquatting, unfair competition...? Should existing registrants be
protected, for example by having priority in the registration of the
internationalized versions?

2) In some languages, as Katoh was pointing out, there are 100-200 different
ways to write the same word. Should registrants be asked to pay 100-200
times the registration fee just to prevent other people by registering their
same domain name, just written differently? And shouldn't there be (to avoid
confusion) a warranty that all equivalent writings go to the same person?

Perhaps we could develop a quick statement on these matters in the next
weeks.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
--------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------