ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] Comments on the draft request for new TLDs

  • To: R.Gaetano@xxxxxxxx, wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx, alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [alac] Comments on the draft request for new TLDs
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:11:10 -0700

At 04:56 PM 06/30/2003 +0200, R.Gaetano@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> In general, I agree.  However, the Lynn proposal in Rio and
> before was to
> add a "limited number" of sponsored TLDs to the "testbed"
> period, before
> opening for general expansion at some later time.  These are
> theoretically
> just additions to the testbed.  I think that rather than
> challenging the
> limitation to sponsored in this case, we should urge ICANN to
> move quickly
> beyond "testing" to addition of a full range of new gTLDs.

But that's exactly the point.
We should be already at the stage in which the "testing" is finished and we
move to a new phase.

Yes, of course. We could urge Twomey to throw out Lynn's incrementalism and move ahead with real namespace expansion now. I don't see what still needs to be tested, either. I'm just concerned that if we raise that as an objection to this RFP, we'd be thrown out on procedural grounds, that we were too late in objecting to a framework that's been in place for months.

Ugh, I'm thinking ICANNese already.
--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
Staff Attorney, Electronic Frontier Foundation