ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Updated Transfer Assistance Group Drafts.

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Updated Transfer Assistance Group Drafts.
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:45:41 +0200

FYI.  Comments welcome.
--
Thomas Roessler                 <roessler (at) does-not-exist.org>

----- Forwarded message from Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
-----

From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tina Dam <dam@xxxxxxxxx>, Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxxxx,
        paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
        grant.forsyth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 16:22:26 +1000
Subject: Second Draft Standardised Form of Authorisation

Hello All,

See below for revised text.  To provide for some flexibility, we could
allow a registrar to either use the standardised text as provided in the
contract, or a registar could request approval from ICANN staff for any
change to the text.  ICANN staff would need to ensure that the main
elements of the text are preserved.  I prefer this approach at this
stage to being more general and just including general principles, as
there are existing problems with misleading messages in the transfers
process and it is better to start with a more defined approach that can
be enforced, rather than repeating the mistakes of the past in creating
something that can not be easily (and cheaply) enforced.  Once the
transfer process has been running for say 6 months we can review the
text - this process of regular review has worked quite effectively in
Australia for .au.

Text in square brackets [ ] is for comments, and is not part of the
standardised form seen by the registrant.

Text in angle brackets < > is to indicate where information needs to be
inserted.  The registrant would only see the inserted text and not the
angle bracket.

I removed the information about the new expiry date to reduce
complexity.

I added the information about no transfer for another 60 days.

I removed the URL for the WHOIS service.

I think the ability to refer to a reseller is now made clearer as part
of the text to insert about the where the request has come from.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

STANDARDIZED FORM OF AUTHORIZATION
DOMAIN NAME TRANSFER - REQUEST FOR CONFIRMATION

An English version of this message is contained below.

<Insert translation of English version in preferred language of the
registrant if known>

ENGLISH VERSION

Attention: <insert Registrant or Administrative Contact of Record as
listed in the WHOIS>

Re: Transfer of <insert domain name>

The current registrar of record for this domain name is <insert name of
losing registrar>.

<insert name of gaining registrar> has received a request from
<insert name of person/entity/reseller requesting transfer> on
<insert date of request> for us to become the new registrar of record.

You have received this message because you are listed as the registrant
or
 administrative contact for this domain name in the WHOIS database.

Please read the following important information about transferring your
domain name:

* You must agree to enter into a new Registration Agreement with us.
You can review the full terms and conditions of the Agreement at
<insert URL of new terms and conditions>

* Once you have entered into the Agreement, the transfer will take place

within five (5) calendar days.

* Once a transfer takes place, you will not be able to transfer to
another registrar for 60 days, apart from a transfer back to the
original registrar.

If you wish to proceed with the transfer:

[NOTE: a registrar can choose to include one or more of the following in
the message sent to the registrant/admin contact, and additional
processes may be added with ICANN approval.]

[option 1] please email us <insert contact details> with the following
message:

"I confirm that I have read the Domain Name Transfer - Request for
Confirmation Message.

I confirm that I wish to proceed with the transfer of
<insert domain name> from <insert name of losing registrar>
to <insert name of gaining registrar>."

[option 2] please go to our website, <insert URL of confirmation
webpage>
to confirm.
[Note: website to contain text as above, with the option to confirm or
deny the transfer]

[option 3] please print out a copy of this message and send a signed
copy to
<insert fax or postal address details>

You are under no obligation to respond to this message.  If you do not
respond,
the transfer will not proceed.  If you have any questions about this
process,
please contact <insert contact details>.

registrars after a transfer is initiated

******************

An English version of this message is contained below.

<Insert translation of English version in preferred language of the
registrant if known>

ENGLISH VERSION

DOMAIN NAME TRANSFER

Attention: <insert Registrant or Administrative Contact of Record as
listed in the WHOIS>

Re: Transfer of <insert domain name>

<insert name of losing registrar> is the current registrar of record
for this domain name.

<insert name of losing registrar and/or name of reseller> received
notification
on <insert date of notification> that you have requested
a transfer to <insert name of gaining registrar>.

This means that <insert name of gaining registrar> will become the new
registrar of record for your domain name on or before
<add 5 days to date of notification>, unless you deny the transfer
request before then.

If you have authorised this transfer, you are under no obligation to
respond to this message, and the transfer will proceed.

To cancel the transfer, please contact us
<insert contact details> within <insert timeframe> days, or the transfer
will proceed.

[optional] or please go to our website within <insert timeframe> days,