ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] DRAFT -- priorities for whois-sc

  • To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] DRAFT -- priorities for whois-sc
  • From: Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:19:26 -0400

I think there should be at least some notion of a proxy that could *hold* the data collected, and disclose it based on the local requirements you cite below.

Esther

On 2003-09-11 20:19:06 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> I would be careful in focusing our requests on the issue of
> "which data are collected", because it doesn't seem very likely
> to me that anyone is going to seriously consider the idea to
> allow registrants not to provide personal details when
> registering.

No data at all is one thing, less data is an entirely different
thing.

> I would rather push for a discussion about "which data are to be
> disclosed publicly", where I think we should ask to make Whois
> publication and disclosure to third parties completely optional
> except when mandatory by law.

That particular approach doesn't seem too realistic, either...

> Also, I didn't see the issue of lack of compliance with existing
> privacy regulations mentioned anywhere.

How about this as an addition?

" We further emphasize our earlier point that ICANN should not
strive for a one-size-doesnt-fit-any policy, but should leave local
questions on the local level, and develop a policy framework which
permits registrars to comply with applicable privacy legislation
through local or national "policy profiles". "

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler                 <roessler (at) does-not-exist.org>

Esther Dyson Always make new mistakes! chairman, EDventure Holdings writer, Release 3.0 (on Website below) edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 1 (212) 924-8800 -- fax 1 (212) 924-0240 104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor) New York, NY 10011 USA http://www.edventure.com

see my new blog (finally!) at
http://release4.blogspot.com/

Release 1.0 - the first good look
at technology that matters