ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[alac] Action points / proposals from the Rome meetings

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Action points / proposals from the Rome meetings
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:36:01 +0100

I have actually decided to send this list now, even if I didn't have time to
double-check it, so that we can start discussing it. It mostly cover
internal organization - doesn't cover policy or outreach activities too
much. Feel free to comment and correct; especially, those members who
weren't in Rome are encouraged to make any objections. I'd like to get these
action points finalized in a few days from now.

1. We should regularly ask ALSs to provide volunteers for policy work
whenever necessary.

2. We should move liaison reports out of conference calls to save time (see
next point).

3. Every liaison, task force member etc. is to send a report to the mailing
list at the end of each month.

4. We should establish the expiration terms of all positions (Chair,
vice-Chair, liaisons...) and possibly formally reappoint / reconsider the
original ones. (Proposal: I think all terms should be aligned with the
annual meeting, so that we reappoint positions when new members come in)

5. We should revise and define better the role and number of the

6. We should try to work together with the NCUC. Proposals:
        a. shall we try to make joint policy statements with the NCUC, as
far as possible? You could actually label them as "user constituencies
statements", or better "civil society" (business users are users!).
        b. shall we have joint public meetings on the constituency day? it's
possibly useless to have our public meeting and then theirs, discussing the
same things.

7. Each Region has to send a roadmap for RALO creation + outreach +
staffing/budgeting plan by two weeks from now. Possibly, this might include
regional staffing requests. Also, please feel free to include requests for
non-At-Large budget items (for example, I think the Committee should require
ICANN to have a translation budget to support translations for all

8. Each Region has to send a report and update plan on outreach and RALO
creation by two weeks before each ICANN meeting.

9. Someone has suggested that each Region could appoint, even informally,
one member who is responsible for this and, more generally, to manage
regional outreach and applications: shall we do so? It would possibly help
me in knowing who to bug when applications are to be reviewed etc.

10. There should be some work to formally establish the long-term mission
and vision of what a RALO is and what is going to happen after we start them
(could this turn into appointing a couple of members to specifically do so
in a document by KL meeting?)

11. Accreditation process is confirmed, but we will try to formalize it a
little more: after each Region finishes the review, there will be two weeks
of "internal public comment", and there will be formal notice of its end.
After it ends (unless important objections arise) vote will be called and
members can vote, but no more discussion.

12. Having a website is not a requirement to be accredited as ALS. 

13. Should we move all our conversations to the public list, except those
that are strictly confidential? (We are constantly being challenged on this
issue, both at ICANN public meetings and on online forums... I'd recommend
to move all discussion to the public list as far as possible)

14. We should request a liaison to the ccNSO.

15. We should set up a document repository (FTP? web based?) where to
archive and share all Committee documents.

16. We should possibly set up regional mailing lists and websites, at least
for those Regions that feel the need to do so; depending on the Region, we
might use ICANN resources or use any other resources which we might find and
which might be easier for day-by-day management.

17. We should find a way to revitalize our forum and/or replace it with
something more appealing to users. (Proposal: shall we merge it with the GA

18. We should find a way to make the als-discuss list operational and
active. (Proposal: shall we appoint one of us as "facilitator" for public
communication, with the specific responsibility to oversee public discussion
mailing lists?)

19. As soon as a regional office is established, we should use that as a
contact address.

20. We should make sure we can get agendas and documents finalized in
advance of the ICANN meetings and printed out. (I will possibly try to put
together a very brief "organizational chart" so that the responsibilities of
staff and of individual members that are appointed to positions are clear.)
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy