ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Draft statement on Whois TF3

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Draft statement on Whois TF3
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:14:29 +0100

On 2004-03-22 09:35:16 +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Finally, we point out that there is no verification system, other
> than requiring a person to physically show up and exhibit a
> secure proof of identity such as a passport or national ID
> document, that could tell between true personal data and
> plausible, but fake, personal data.

The key point of what we should say is hidden in this paragraph: The
systems everyone is talking about are about plausibility checking.

Actually ensuring accurate information would involve *using* the
address data to complete some step in the registration process. Like
what the one "survey" respondent told you: Send in a form that must
be sent back with a signature before the registrant can proceed. (Or
cancel the domain name if the form doesn't come back after some
days.)  That method isn't practicable for registrars with an
international client base, either.  Plausibility checks, on the
other hand, don't force bad actors to provide true information --
rather, the quality of the fake information will increase.

Besides that, the "survey" of TF3 has not even turned up anecdotal
evidence for the existence of plausbility checking systems that
might be usable by registrars who address an international audience.

I would then conclude noting that we don't recommend TF3 make any
policy recommendations at this point.

I'd also suggest to make the entire statement much shorter, and
high-level.