ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] Action points / proposals from the Rome meetings

  • To: <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] Action points / proposals from the Rome meetings
  • From: Izumi Aizu <izumi@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 00:25:56 +0900

At 10:03 04/03/25 -0800, you wrote:
Denise, I receive many spam from  [alac-forum] list, and wonder
how this could happen if it is moderated.

I attach just one header as an example.

izumi

From: "Reggie Arnold" <gyyxuhoshilp@xxxxxxx>
To: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [alac-forum] Stop paying too much for cigarettes
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:06:34 -0200
Sender: owner-alac-forum@xxxxxxxxx

The web-based ALAC forum is moderated (spam, etc. is not posted).  ALAC
members, per your request, receive all emails sent to the forum address
(before they are posted).

> -----Original Message----- > From: owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-alac@xxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of > Roberto Gaetano > Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 9:04 AM > To: roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; izumi@xxxxxxx > Cc: alac@xxxxxxxxx > Subject: Re: [alac] Action points / proposals from the Rome meetings > > > > > > > 17. We should find a way to revitalize our forum and/or > > > replace it with something more appealing to users. > > > (Proposal: shall we merge it with the GA list?) > > > > > Though Denise said it is moderated, I think it is not - there > > > are too many spam mails there! Merging with GA, or adding a > > > new list with GA may work. > > > >Traditionally, the GA list has only been open to subscribers; > >alac-forum is attracting spam, though. The real problem of the GA > >list is not spam, though: It is the bad karma that this list has > >collected. In hindsight, I guess that shutting down the GA list and > >starting over with stricter rules migh have been a better idea than > >keeping the moribund GA list alive. > > I agree that to force a merger will create more problems than it solves. > Also, if the idea is to find "something more appealing to users" I don't > think that the GA will help. > > > > >That said, we urgently need to find some way for open discussion -- > >the current forum clearly does not work: While we may have a hard > >time to reach out, those people who are coming to us (through the > >forum) have an even harder time getting any response back from ALAC, > >or getting involved in any discussion with others who are > >interested. Let's face it: In terms of enabling communication among > >individuals about ICANN issues, we have been a miserable failure so > >far. I'd hope we can change that. > > The problem is that if the message is received by everybody, with nobody > specifically in charge for it, it will not be answered. If we > want to manage > an open forum, we need to allocate the resources to it. > Personally, I would be more in favour to a web post without sending to a > mailig list. But this does not change the issue, which is who answers. > > > > > > 18. We should find a way to make the als-discuss list > > > operational and active. (Proposal: shall we appoint one of > > > us as "facilitator" for public communication, with the > > > specific responsibility to oversee public discussion mailing > > > lists?) > > > > > I would recommend to have two people, perhaps, than only one > > > facilitator. Unless we have "superman/women". > > > >While it's good to have someone who's responsible, I'd hope that -- > >once we have put an infrastructure in place that actually encourages > >communication -- all members of this committee attempt to > >participate in discussions. > > Again, it is OK if everybody participates to the discussion on a > voluntary > basis, but without a responsible we will never get good results. > > Regards > Roberto > > _________________________________________________________________ > The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* > http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail >

> [...]

<< Writing the Future of the History >>