ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Council call

  • To: <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Council call
  • From: Sebastián Ricciardi <sricciardi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 19:04:11 -0300

Dear All,

Thomas remarks about GAC´s position on the WIPO II issue are very
interesting.

Whoever might be the one that thinks that the council shouldn´t be involved
in the process, it became obvious that the GAC put it´s own interests above
the legitimacy of the whole Domain Name System. I would like, therefore, to
present you the following statement (changes, opinions and advices are
welcome, of course) for your endorsment.

"Given the publication of the WIPO II Working Group Report, and having
noticed certain concerns within the ICANN community regarding the proper
policy development process, and the participation of the GNSO in it, the
ALAC wishes to stress once again the utmost importance of  the role that the
GNSO has in the PDP.
We believe (as we stated before, see
http://alac.icann.org/correspondence/comment-wipo-13may03.htm) that it would
be inappropriate for ICANN to assume the role of an international
legislator, and to try to establish such new law through its contracts and
policy processes. For this reason, any policy-making processes which are
based upon WIPO's recommendations in the areas of the protection of IGOs'
and countries' names must pay close attention to staying within the confines
of supporting existing, internationally uniform law.
That desn´t deny in any way the required participation of the GNSO in the
matter, given an eventual Board resolution on the implementation of the WIPO
II Report. In fact, any implementation of these matters will require a
proper Policy Development Process, and the role of the GNSO in it is clearly
stated in ICANN´s Bylaws."

Please excuse me if you find some grammar mistakes or anything confuse here.

Regards,

Sebastian