ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Council call

  • To: alac@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Council call
  • From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:27:52 +0100

Hello,

here are some short notes from the Council call tonight:

* Bruce Tonkin re-elected as GNSO chair for another 12 months.

* Council concerned re WIPO II.  ICANN staff has a response from
  WIPO to the WIPO II group's report (this was the group chaired by
  Jonathan Cohen where we were represented by Wendy and Sebastian;
  the report hasn't been published).  That report is supposed to be
  published by ICANN today.  GNSO wants to be kept in the loop on
  whatever decision may be suggested to the Board in Cape Town.  I
  was hearing a slightly aggressive remark from a GAC rep who
  suggested that it might be inappropriate for Council to take a
  position on a matter of international law.

* On registry changes (as I'll call it briefly), ICANN staff has
  reviewed the initial report, and will come back to Council with
  comments.

* Hiring of staff support for the GNSO Council.  Two shortlists of
  10 people; interviews; shorten list for one of the roles to 4-5
  people in the next couple of days.  Interviews next week; other
  role may have to wait until after Cape Town.  Try to have people
  on staff by 1/05.

* GNSO Review.  Patrick Sharry (the consultant retained by ICANN)
  briefly described the process he is going through for the review;
  he's interviewing about 20 people.

* Council wants to look at ICANN's strategic plan in Cape Town.

* Updates on WHOIS Task Force 1-2:  Not much progress on tiered
  access; drafts on conflict between law and RAA, "conspicuous
  notice."

* Update on Task Force 3:  Some remarks from Barbara Roseman and
  myself on yesterday's call, identifying fundamental issues that
  the group needs to resolve before it's able to do anything.

  (Barbara: Who bears cost of measures wished by IP constituency?
  Registrars or IPC?  I: Improving accuracy on massive scale vs
  treating bad actors; side effects of proposed policies on
  stability of domain name registrations.)

  There will be a meeting of Council and TF3 members / constituency
  reps in Cape Town; probably on Wed 1 Dec.  (The opening ceremony
  has apparently been renamed and moved to Thursday.)  It would be
  advisable if someone from this group could participate.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler · Personal soap box at <http://log.does-not-exist.org/>.