ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Re: Fwd: Re: [alac-admin] IDN - RESEND

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Re: Fwd: Re: [alac-admin] IDN - RESEND
  • From: Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:39:04 -0500

thanks. you clarified your idea and I have no objection to it now that I understand it!

Esther

At 11:31 AM 12/1/2004, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 12:33:14 -0500, Esther Dyson <edyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>I think this whole thing is still far more complicated than we appreciate,
>and that simple answers are .....too simple.  As I say in the doc, why not
>throw out all the TLDs if we want to have the same SLDs *under* each TLD?

Ok, I think I have to write things more clearly (or I didn't understand your
objection).

"All equivalent variants of a given domain name should be sold and
registered in bundle" means that if (and I stress "if", since equivalences
are still to be defined) you have a standard agreed table that says that
"ss" and "ß" (sz ligature, aka "german beta") are two equivalent strings in
the IDN world, then you should not be allowed to register "strasse.com" and
"straße.com" separately - when you buy one, you should get the other one
too. And the same applies to "strasse.net" and "straße.net" - but separately
from the .com ones.

I was absolutely not saying that "straße.com" and "straße.net" should be
bundled or even go to the same registrant - I don't see any reason for that.

Did I clarify my idea? Or did I get your objection wrong?
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...

Esther Dyson Always make new mistakes! Editor, Release 1.0

CNET Networks - www.cnet.com
104 Fifth Avenue (at 16th Street)
New York, NY 10011    USA

+1 (212) 924-8800