ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Re: Verisign paper for discussion on Deleting Domain Names Programing

  • To: "ALAC" <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Re: Verisign paper for discussion on Deleting Domain Names Programing
  • From: Izumi AIZU <aizu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:37:43 +0900

with all due respect, I am not convinced that market force
is always the solution, it sometimes fails, it cannot address
everything. Auction can give privilege to those who have
more financial power than others, and could lead to
quasi monopolistic situation of some domain names,
which could be regarded as public good or public resource
(economists have not agreed what is the real nature of
domain names in economics terms).

Auction can be sometimes very good for some kind of
resource allocation, but I don't believe that is proven
for the each piece of domain names.

more later,

izumi