ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] (Corrected) DRAFT Statement on Whois Process

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <fausett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] (Corrected) DRAFT Statement on Whois Process
  • From: "Vittorio Bertola" <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 14:51:46 +0200 (CEST)

I think it's quite good :-)

I would perhaps only add a mention of why this process is so important to
us, both in substance and in "political" terms. My problem is not just
that the process is stuck - it is that the process is stuck on such an
important issue, and thus ICANN fails to meet the interests of the users
(and the laws/culture of many parts of the world).

Something like (but feel free to edit / merge with other comments /
streamline etc):

As a consequence of these process issues, we see that after years of work
ICANN still seems unable to accommodate the requests of the users
community, particularly with regards to measures to protect the privacy of
individual registrants, notwithstanding the fact that such measures are
actually compulsory by law for registrants and registrars, and deeply
embedded in common practice and customer expectations, in many parts of
the world. Thus, we think that this process failed to accomplish the
purpose of balanced, global policy-making in the interest of all Internet
communities around the world.

Also a pointer to our substance position on the matter could be a good
thing to add.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...