ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] FYI - Twomy speech to WGIG

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] FYI - Twomy speech to WGIG
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 15 Jun 2005 16:15:22 -0400

>  > ICANN is now offering Board seats to governments.
>
> "Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, no official of a
> national government or a multinational entity established by treaty or
> other agreement between national governments may serve as a Director."
> http://www.icann.org/general/archive-bylaws/bylaws-08apr05.htm#VI-4

So maybe they'll invite them to serve as observers, or as members acting
as individuals rather than officials (the IETF approach).  Or maybe
they'll vote in an official, someone will remind them that's against the
bylaws, shock and surprise will ensue along with a fast track revision of
the bylaws with no meaningful outside comment or participation.

Honestly, I can't see any particular reason to forbid gov't members,
although it'd probably be a good idea to limit them to, say, 1/4.  But if
that's the plan, I really wish they'd debate it before deciding rather
than the other way around.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor