ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] FYI - Twomy speech to WGIG

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] FYI - Twomy speech to WGIG
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 17 Jun 2005 08:54:00 -0400

PS:

> Governments think that they rule everything and everybody "by default",
> which gives the psychological attitude that they can overrule any ICANN
> decision (which they can in fact do, but only limited to their own
> individual jurisdiction, ad by and large governments have not grasped
> fully the implication of globalization in terms of jurisdiction -

Except, of course, for the US government which could cancel ICANN's
contract and replace them with something else.  Since at this point the US
federal government is often acting capriciously and unilaterally, that
could be a problem if they annoy enough rich Republicans.

But I still am baffled that Twomey would make the offer without at least
running it by the board first.

R's,
John