ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] FYI - Twomy speech to WGIG

  • To: vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] FYI - Twomy speech to WGIG
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 07:47:05 +0000

FYI, this has never been (at least for the period I have been serving as Liaison) on the table for discussion internally in the Board.
However, I personally don't see any problems in principle: OTOH, there might be an advantage. Governments think that they rule everything and everybody "by default", which gives the psychological attitude that they can overrule any ICANN decision (which they can in fact do, but only limited to their own individual jurisdiction, ad by and large governments have not grasped fully the implication of globalization in terms of jurisdiction - see, for instance, the French government vs. Yahoo for the advertisement of nazi material).
If they are in the Board, the perception will be different: they are part of the decision.
Anyway, the devil will be, as usual, in the details, and that is one more reason to have a wide consultation.
Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison