ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] US DOC on Internet governance

  • To: johnl@xxxxxxxx, bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [alac] US DOC on Internet governance
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <alac_liaison@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 22:22:10 +0000

Just two comments.

First, the statement of the US government did not say anything different from what had been said in other occasions. It seems to me the same refrain since the White Paper: we (USG) believe in self-regulation of the privwate sector, and would end direct governmental intervention in Internet matters, however we would exerce adult supervision until we see fit. Of course, different people at different moments have speculated in different ways about if and when USG would see fit to pass the "power".

Second, USG does indeed care, and very very much! Otherwise, .cu would have been out of the root since long, as .iq, .ly, and many others, at least for some period of time. As a matter of fact, USG keeps a void position of power in principle: the very moment in which USG will exerce its power beyond what would be acceptable on an international level, i.e. for instance applying strictly its own laws and embargo on Cuba, the result would be an almost immediate split of the root. And this will have ripercussions for the US economy that are not completely foreseeable, but probably not in the positive direction. In other words, at this point in time, the US companies are selling more abroad via the internet than foreign business selling to US, hence...
Incidentally, the ITU is no longer claiming any interest in the control of the root, which few years ago was seen as the way to get their foot in the door, for the simple reason that they understand the politics underneath: it is a matter of principle, with almost zero real power associated.
What worries me really is the fact that we are risking more with IDN.IDN in terms of balkanization of the internet. And there has been an interesting discussion on this subject at EGENI 2005.

Regards,
Roberto GAETANO
ALAC
ICANN BoD Liaison