ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] US DOC on Internet governance

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] US DOC on Internet governance
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 1 Jul 2005 19:24:40 -0400

I happened to be at the ITU all week for the cybersecurity meeting, and
the point they found notable is that US DOC has no plans to cede its
oversight role to anyone, ever.  ICANN appeared to think otherwise, but
now we know better.

Despite the FUD, I don't think the ITU sees itself injecting itself into
the DNS process other than possibly as a place to host a high level
intergovernmental oversight committee with more political legitimacy than
the GAC.  Apparently many governments are not thrilled that a California
corporation thinks that it gets to tell them what to do, but an oversight
function via the ITU or other treaty org could address this without
changing the practical operations much.

Vittorio wrote:

> At the same time, basically all governments of the world, including
> the European Union, have said repeatedly, clearly and publicly,
> during the WGIG process, that they will not accept the unilateral
> control of the root zone any more. So...

Not to hurt your feelings or anything, but the U.S. government doesn't
care, and I don't see anyone with any leverage to do anything about it.

R's,
John