ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Question on registrar-registry split

  • To: "Bret Fausett" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Question on registrar-registry split
  • From: "John R Levine" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 14 Nov 2005 14:15:04 -0500

> As I read the proposed new .COM agreement -- and I could have missed
> something, which is why I'm asking the question -- all of the provisions
> relating to providing equivalent access to registrars, maintaining a
> wall between the registrar and the registry, and not advantaging an
> owned registrar with subsidies from the registry have been deleted.

Section 7.1(a) enumerates things they have to provide to all registrars
in a nondiscriminatory fashion, (b) says they can't act as a registrar,
(c) says the can't buy more than 15% of a registrar.  Sec 7.3(c) says no
tying, and (e) says everyone gets the same price and the same volume
discounts.

In part 7.1(c) I don't understand why it should be more than 0%, but I
think this is consistent with past language.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, Mayor