Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: jmgraham
Date/Time: Wed, June 14, 2000 at 7:12 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: ICANN board out of touch

I can't believe all the numbered questions for public comment. It's like ICANN is saying "we've made up our minds so don't talk about important issues... choose only those things we have laid out." Most of the numbered questions ask the public to choose between several terrible alternatives. The underlying message is always "should we give big business lots of control or should we give big business total control?" Whatever happened to giving big business no control?
   The ICANN board has already received overwhelmingly bad publicity for their actions such as trying to charge users a tax of $1 per domain name, the introduction of the Uniform Resolution Dispute Policy that is a total failure and is not binding in federal court, and attempts to make all meetings private and behind closed doors. Foreign governments are starting their own TLDs and refusing to pay fees to ICANN. Additionally, the policies concerning the election of new ICANN board members have been repeatedly criticized. ICANN is out of touch.
   As far as my comments concerning new TLDs. I support deregulation of all domain names. Let the internet community monitor who can and can not register a domain. If there are legal issues let the courts handle it. Keep Big Brother away from domain registration policy. Keep big business away from ICANN.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy