Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: ozbilge
Date/Time: Sun, June 18, 2000 at 3:30 PM GMT
Browser: Netscape Communicator V4.72 using Windows NT
Score: 5
Subject: New TLDs is no remedy ...

Introduction of new TLDs that compete with the existing ones will trigger an explosion of trademark conflicts and legal wars which in turn will make domain name system even more unmanageable and frustrating for most of the involved. Registrars should seek a little bit more creative ways to find new sources of revenue (like value added services etc.) or if they can not, then better accept that it's their own failure. Domain name system is not there to facilitate revenue sources for a bunch of badly managed companies, but to help internet grow in a way so that we all can mutually benefit. Mass-marketing barren new TLDs is definitely no help for that.

Having said this, I should add that I'm no fan of the existing system either. I believe inventing the country-code TLDs was the greatest mistake ever done with the internet. Those country codes are against the spirit of internet being a truly global medium. And some of those TLDs ending up as .com competitors was inevitable, but this only helped to distort the name system. Can you tell me why a 10.000 island and its registrar can cash on selling domain names (because the island happens to be declared a republic, territory etc.) but a 10 million strong city can not (because it's part of a large political entity)? There is no rational logic behind all this.

I believe, before introducing new TLDs, we should concentrate on solving the problems of the existing system and on how to make it consolidate.

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy