Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Mon, June 19, 2000 at 4:08 AM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: .web vs .com (Round 2) ding!

I think this is turning into a battle of idealogy (which is good) but if we are to help ICANN in any way, we should be providing answers to the questions they posed on the previous page....Since I already did this (see message "I answered all the questions")

One thing after reading my answers to the questions, I did leave out one thing....QUESTION:  Does the new gTLDs have to compete persay with a .com.....???   Yes and I will gladly tell you why....Because 95% of the english language has been eaten by dot coms...Now individuals wanting a "Quality" name have to settle for MYSTOREISINOHIO.com.....Some say to forget about .web pre-registrations and the .web name all together...THEY really give no reason, other than, well "We don't need anymore"....This sounds like a future competitor to me....As my .web will kick your .com all the way back to the Virginia!!!(only joking) (this is actually very healthy which will bring some badly needed balance to the DNS--I think).....SO if ICANN selects, .web, and IOD they will be getting the following...A domain that will compete with .com, a registry that can compete with Network Solutions.... Now for the very touchy issue of pregistrations of .web names at IOD....How will this effect it's (the .web gTLD) ability to provide information as a testbed....This answer is very clear....what IOD and the preregistrations have done is allready given us a glimpse into this "awaiting" gTLD....It's popular...some people have registered all kinds of domain names so far....including TM'd names (which will be dealt with by WIPO as they have for dot com infringement)....the database of taken names is nowhere near the level at which dot com names are at....This is why IANA selected .web and IOD in the first place when they gave them the go ahead and then the now famous "green and white papers"...They wanted a TLD that could do battle with dot com..and also learn something valuable in the process.....Why would this be any different come 11/00....???  So my suggestion for ICANN is to get as much out of IOD (info wise) that you can---They have 5 years (life time in net years) that can give some insight to this issue (what are some of the pros and cons to being a testbed---etc)...Here is another thing to think about...If it weren't for IOD keeping registrations going...would we be having this discussion today about new gTLD's??  I am not sure....Those that have registered a .web name feel empowered somehow (most aren't corporations--represent 75 countries; individuals, businesses) with their domain and have written to the commerce dept, ICANN, IANA, DNSO, etc..etc...Even this page...So for what purposes do they feel empowered...Money...New Business Opportunities...Wanted their own Generic Name (i.e John.web)???..who knows...but I know one thing for sure...I would never have been so involved in this process had I not had a vested interest in this proposal (new gTLDs)No Dah you say?? Well I have crossed over into other ICANN issues and have become a productive member...At Large voting for new members...Heck I even sent in the new Self Nomination request...and have written several emails concerning TM issues and how it relates to the court..sent in invention ideas for dealing with asian characters...the list goes on....So having dot web name has made me an advocate---again, without competition in the name space from a credible company (and domain) issues like this will become nonexistent...Therefore I suggest we compromise...Let's work together and build up the name-space where there is space for both dot coms and dot web...We don't have to like each other, we can benefit from this competition...believe me (I majored in Economics)...So please, if you wish to sign a truce below and wish to cooperate to build the name-space...post a message and your name under this message...

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy