Return to newtlds Forum - Message Thread - FAQ

Username: Gregory Krajewski
Date/Time: Mon, June 19, 2000 at 4:08 PM GMT
Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.01 using Windows 98
Score: 5
Subject: RE:  Not Yet

<<  Answer the question you dare not to face in round 1,
Why there is such an unfair, unopened, profitable, trade-marked and private agreement ?!!!

Answer it directly, clearly AND concisely>>

MY "DIRECT and CLEAR" Response:

Well, I will try, so here goes: IOD and it's .web name were early pioneers in the creation of a new gTLD...Since they used .web as there service mark they were entitled to use it as such to identify their business.  They have a right to create a service mark so that all inviduals could identify their company...What sets IOD appart is they had the foresight (in my judgement) to create this service mark (dot web) around there business...Look at companies now trying to claim they are the "dot com people" etc....IOD was exclusive in this...A service mark is granted and owned...(if continuously used which no one can say otherwise about IOD)...As far as your other comment about private agreements I or no one else can really speak on this issue, other than IOD who had a representative meet with Mr Manning and the late Jon Postel...Your comment about the whole situation as being unfair...well sir...business is business....If we ran our businesses based on being "fair" alone we wouldn't be in business for long.....ICANN itself must run like a business...Some individuals who really, really wanted their own .tld and sent in their proposal will get turned down....it might not be fair, but until we live in a utopian society where everyone wins and everyone gets everything they want...it will still be business as usual...I hope not to sound sarcastic, but really...when you posed the question you did...what else could you expect...Nonetheless I do respect your stance on this issue...What I suggest is you research and provide clear evidence of what it is you wish to purport....This is a lesson for us all...including myself (I try to put disclaimers up that these are only my opinions, however I do dig for facts....which is what ICANN wants us to do)...

Message Thread:

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy